Home » » Akshara Haasan: I would love to romance Shah Rukh Khan onscreen!

Akshara Haasan: I would love to romance Shah Rukh Khan onscreen!

I recently caught up with Kamal Haasan’s younger daughter who is all geared up to make her acting debut with Shamitabh. Unlike most celebs, I found her very sweet and unpretentious. And as we started conversing, her eyes sparkled with enthusiasm. Read on to know how our chat turned out to be…Akshara Haasan will be seen opposite two biggies – Amitabh Bachchan and Dhanush in R Balki’s upcoming directorial venture Shamitabh which is slated to release next month on February 6. Considering the film stars two mighty actors, one would expect the young lass to be worried about being overshadowed by them. However, Akshara isn’t. In fact, she never thought in her wildest dreams that she would get to work with Big B and the Raanjhanaa actor in her very first film. Well, that’s how I started the conversation and asked the pretty lady her first reaction on being offered Shamitabh. Here’s what she said…

It’s a dream debut considering you worked with Amitabh Bachchan and Dhanush in your first film Shamitabh. What was your first reaction when R Balki offered you the film?

(Smiles)… When Shamitabh came to me, I actually didn’t think I would get this kind of opportunity in my very first film. I thought I would probably get it after 20 to 30 films because we are talking about Mr Bachchan, R Balki and Dhanush. It’s huge for me because I honestly didn’t expect Shamitabh to be my first film. I connected instantly to the script and to the character. So I am just thankful that I got this film.

In one of your interviews you said that you were intimidated by both – Big B and Dhanush. So did you break the ice on the sets?

More than breaking the ice, they broke the ice and that helped me so much because I look up to them. In fact, so many times I got stuck, forgot the scenes and dialogues because I was really intimidated and scared by Mr Bachchan. I wasn’t intimidated before, it was only when I got on set and saw him because you know…his presence is so powerful. And I think it was more of nervousness and fear that I shouldn’t mess it. With Balki Sir, he just told me that when you’re on set, they are just actors and that really helped me. Also, all the credit goes to Mr Bachchan and Dhanush for breaking the wall because as a newcomer you can’t cross certain lines with them. All credit to them, they made me feel so much at ease. When I was on the sets, the rest of the world would seize to exist. And when Amitabh Sir and Dhanush did the same, it helped me even more.

But at any point were you apprehensive about the fact that these two stalwarts might overshadow you in the film?

See, as a newcomer we already strive to say, ‘Please come and see my work.’ We strive to make that impression and to make an impact on the audience. We strive to do that every day. So for me it was like, ‘I have to prove a point.’ It’s already there in back of my mind that I have to prove point with every film I do. I have to show what I am capable of as an actor. When it came to Mr Bachchan and Dhanush, I felt I needed to show them what I am capable of doing as a actor because that will make them understand what kind of actor I and then they will know what to get out of me or where to push me further. Same is the case with Balki Sir because that made things easier. For me, I focused on what was in front of me. I really felt that I had blinkers on. All would think is, ‘dude, this the scene so get into the character and do it right. Do it the way Balki Sir wants and give it your 100 percent and be disciplined.’ So I was focusing on that rather than letting the intimidation or fear get the better of me. There were some days when I was down in the dumps and I knew I could fall back on Balki Sir. I also had Mr Bachchan and Dhanush to fall back on because as a team they all were supportive of me and were so understanding. That helped me perform better and also made me grow into a better person.

How does it feel when a supremely talented director like R Balki says that “Akshara is born to act”?

I am honestly very honoured that he said that and it makes me feel encouraged. You know, the feeling that I get, I really can’t explain it in words. It’s more than grateful, more than thankful and more than encouraging. It’s a mixture of these kinds of emotions that take it to another level. I don’t know what else to say (smiles).

Both Dhanush and Amitabh Bachchan have worked with your family remembers. Did they tell anything about then before you started shooting?

No, nothing actually. We believe in the fact that everyone has different equations with everybody. I have my own equation with Dhanush, Mr Bachchan and Balki Sir. So they didn’t say anything, they have their own equations with their contemporaries and with other actors. And who knows mine equation will be very different from theirs. So they gave me freedom to develop my equation because everyone’s mind functions differently.

Did you and Dhanush bond on the sets talking about South films since you both have been exposed to that industry?

Actually, we all bonded on one common ground – cinema. It doesn’t matter whether it’s Bollywood, Hollywood or Tollywood, for me cinema is cinema. So we did bond on that because no matter in what language it is, every kind of cinema conveys emotions.

When you become an actor, a lot of other things come along – link-ups, controversies, invasion of privacy and what not. So how have you prepared yourself for that? Has your mother or sister given you any advice?

Ever since I have grown up, I have known that there is other side as well. I have seen that while growing up and as a person I am very private. If you ask me something personal, I would honestly tell you to please refrain from talking about it. Because I am a very private person, closed person in that ways. I am bit of an introvert.

Also, comparisons are bound to happen with your sister Shruti Haasan. How are you going to tackle that?

It’s unfair but I know comparisons do happen. Even in daily life, people have come up to me and said that you look so much like your mother which is just normal and you just say ‘thank you.’ And if people see my film and compare me with my sister I would be like, ‘Oh my gosh, thank you.’ But I also want to strive and get an individual recognition apart from my lineage and legacy. I would love to carry my lineage and legacy as an individual that is just Akshara. Not as someone’s daughter or sister. As for comparisons, I would take it in positive way. At least, I feel I will be making my family proud.

Directing is something you have been passionate about for a long time but how did acting happened?

I am originally a dancer so my first love is dance then direction and acting. I am honestly lucky to have these three fields with which I can have a love affair. Coming to acting, it didn’t happen by chance. I was actually not ready to be an actor; I decided to be one around a year or a year-and-half ago. Shortly after I decided to be an actor, I got Shamitabh. I wasn’t ready to be an actor because it’s a different ball game altogether. In fact, I still have to explore a lot more.

So will we get to see your ‘dancer’ side in Shamitabh?

Ahhh… you’ll have to see the film to find out (smiles)

Okay, tell us who is hotter – Dhanush or Amitabh Bachchan?

Tough choice, unfair question (laughs).

As a fan if you had to pick then….

I would then say Dhanush!

One thing that you discovered about your co-stars while working with them which surprised you…

Our humour is similar, all three of us actually. I never thought we’ll have that in common.

One thing that you picked up by observing both your co-stars…

It’s hard to say because I still haven’t learned enough. Shamitabh was enough for me to pick and learn from them (smiles). But one thing that I picked up was how they transformed into their character and it was just beautiful to see. Jaan de dete hain pura character mein….and that’s what I loved.

Will we see you working with any of your family members soon? Have any such offers been made?

No, there haven’t been offers as yet. But I hope at some point in the future we do get the opportunity to work together. But I would like to wait till five films down the line and when I am ready. I would be wonderful to actually work with my family. It would be different and interesting to see how we work on the set leaving aside the fact that we are family.

Three things that people don’t know about you

I am a huge prankster but in a good way, I am very sporty and I am a very curious soul.

You have already worked with R Balki, which directors do you want to work with next?

Balki Sir was always on my list, apart from him, Vishal Bhardwaj, Mr Rahul Dholakia and the list goes on…

One actor you want to romance onscreen?

Shah Rukh Khan. Dil garden garden ho jata hai unko dekh ke (smiles)

Have you met him?

Yes, twice actually and the second time I got to work with him as an AD. First time I met him during the shooting of Hey Ram and second time when I was as an AD for a Nerolac commercial which had Huma Qureshi. He is just so warm that I can’t begin to tell you.

Lastly, anything lined-up after Shamitabh?
Share this article :
 

Copyright © 2011. Telly Talk India - All Rights Reserved